- Environmental friendly.
Autonomous vehicle can optimize the control signal so that the energy consumption is minimum, that’s just what we do in our thesis project.
- Better driving comfort
The autonomous vehicle can even make turns better than an experienced driver can do.
- Elimination of redundant passengers – If you are going to the airport, you don’t need to let your friend to drive you there and he drives back himself.(1) :from wikipedia
- Reduction in the need for traffic police (1) :from wikipedia
- Disable/old people can easily “drive” a car.
- You can free you hand and have a relaxing journey.
- Traffic jam can be avoid or at least improved by communication between vehilcles.
- “Perhaps most radically, personal cars could potentially be used like taxis, dropping their owners off at a location, driving home, and then picking them up again when called”(2)
But there is something which is not so perfect.
Do you think the driving skill of the future people who use the autonomous vehicle will be better? Perhaps not. Maybe vehicle driving will become something like a hobby- like some people enjoying riding the single wheel bicycle. Relying too much on the technology is a good thing a bad thing, that’s a question. According to the movie “WALL·E”, the future people are all really fat and are taken care by the machines- maybe things like that will happen, who knows?
Also an autonomous vehicle is under risk of system breakdown. The future murder can be that vehicle computer system is contaminated by the virus. If there are backdoors in the software which can be accessed by the hacker, we are in danger!